Pacific Rim Diary 4: Tohoku, Tokyo, US Media for NPR

I asked ABC News correspondent Akiko Fujita to join me in the studio in Tokyo for my latest "Pacific Rim Diary" segment on The Madeleine Brand Show for KPCC/NPR. I talk about returning to a transformed Tokyo in May, and Akiko and I discuss how the US media misread parts of the story--and the Japanese themselves.

You can hear it here.

It's been over three months since an earthquake off the coast of Japan triggered a tidal wave that nearly caused nuclear meltdown. American news teams had heavy coverage of the devastation and threat to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, but according to Japanese-American author Roland Kelts, the U.S. media missed the point. Kelts joined us in the U.S. right after the disaster in Japan. Now he and ABC News correspondent Akiko Fujita explain from Tokyo.

Popular posts from this blog

Video: Interview for Hype Magazine

Shinji Aramaki and the Appleseed Ex Machina Opening