Thursday, February 24, 2011

Coming soon: Monkey Biz, launched and unleashed

Found in translation: the premiere issue of Monkey Business International: new writing from Japan, published in collaboration with A Public Space and featuring new material from Haruki Murakami, Yoko Ogawa, Hideo Furukawa, Mina Ishikawa, manga artists The Brother and Sister Nishioka and Barry Yourgrau, among many others, debuts this spring with a string of events & parties in NYC:

Saturday, April 30 @ The
Asia Society in Manhattan

Monday, May 1 @ BookCourt in Brooklyn

Tuesday, May 3 @ The Japan Society in Manhattan

All of the above will feature authors, editors and translators from Japan, the US and Canada. Lineups, details and other specs forthcoming. (And, yes: amid the sterling stories, poems, and interviews--there will even be a dose of manga channeling Franz Kafka.)

[photos from the original launch of Monkey Business in Tokyo, 2008]

Monkey Business International was compiled and translated by Motoyuki Shibata, Ted Goosen and other stalwarts, and Shibata and Goosen also did the lion's share of the editing. Brigid Hughes and A Public Space and I contributed to the editing and events-planning, APS's Anne McPeak copy-edited and produced the issue, and artist Lissi Erwin is guilty of its brilliant design.

I am humbled and honored to be a small part of this very big production.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm really excited about this project! Is there anywhere to go to find out more about it? If I perhaps wanted to submit a translation to a future issue, who would I contact? I apologize for asking these questions in a comment, but I'm experiencing a bit of an internet fail in my inability to find email addresses. My own is khemmann at gmail dot com, and I'm a grad student with a serious interest in new translated Japanese fiction. I would love to hear more about this journal!

Roland Kelts said...

And I'm excited that you're excited. More info is forthcoming, but please join us for the April/May launch events in NYC if you possibly can. It will be a great opportunity to introduce yourself and your work to a whole host of eminent translators and writers.
Will try to get a relevant email issued to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Not only do I love PUBLIC SPACE but I am poised to love MONKEY BIZ--is this the best place to watch for updates?
Kimiko Hahn

Roland Kelts said...

Kimiko--
I am honored by your interest in the APS/MBI joint publication, and as a longtime admirer of your work, doubly so. We now have confirmed launch readings/discussions/events at the Asia Society NYC (29 April), BookCourt in Brooklyn (1 May), and the Japan Society NYC (3 May). Some of the planning has been delayed a bit by the ongoing trials in Japan, but I will attempt to update this site with info asap.