Japanamerica book author Roland Kelts confirmed with ANN that he will host a tribute event dedicated to the late anime director Satoshi Kon at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C. this coming Saturday, April 2. Otakon parent company Otakorp is serving as a co-sponsor for the event, and the D.C. Anime Club as a co-presenter.
The event will include a speech from Kelts honoring Kon's life works, and a screening of Paprika. The Smithsonian is also hosting a screening of Makoto Shinkai's The Place Promised in Our Early Days following a preview of Shinkai's upcoming film Hoshi o Ou Kodomo, a screening of Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service, a cosplay contest, and an art workshop. The schedule is as follows:
- 11:00 a.m. Kiki's Delivery Service screening
- 2:00 p.m. Anime Workshop
- 2:00 p.m. Cosplay Contest
- 4:30 p.m. Hoshi o Ou Kodomo preview / The Place Promised in Our Early Daysscreening
- 6:30 p.m. Roland Kelts speech & book signing
- 7:30 p.m. Paprika screening